Résumé of Dr. Dean G. "Gordy" Fairchild
Dean G. Fairchild's LinkedIn.com Page
Extensive senior experience in putting statistics to business use and managing technical people. Seasoned modeler and SAS programmer familiar with designing, automating, and executing performance checks on models for compliance. Adept at collaborating across diverse roles: econometricians, auditors/accountants, actuarial reviewers, and senior management. Personable and persuasive oral, written, and online communicator capable of reaching varied audiences. IT and programming skills honed through years of experience on practical problems. Excellent soft skills in hiring, managing and developing people.
Specialties: econometrics/statistics, loyalty and rewards program effectiveness, credit scoring, market research, time series forecasting, modeling with panel data, managing people.
- Sr. Director, Analytics
- Cognilytics, Inc.
- February 2010--Present (5 years 1 month) Phoenix, Arizona, Area & San Francisco, California
- Provide analytical lead, programming, and project lead skills to Silicon Valley startup consulting firm. Work has concentrated around financial services (payment) industry problems such as portfolio optimization across the business and consumer book, credit and debit card model governance, targeted segmentation, and loyalty/rewards analyses.
- Director of Analytics, Membership Rewards Finance
- American Express
- July 2004--January 2010 (5 years 7 months)
- Streamline and automate existing financial, market risk, and URR model related controls. Led to cut in production run time of over 50% with additional labor savings.
- Spearhead research in 2009 that will allow 2010 booking of over $14MM of MR reengineering savings.
- Collaborate on model audits and data risk reduction with internal and external auditors and consulting actuaries. Instilled "no surprises" audit philosophy.
- Develop objective model scorecards. Based on back-testing and other scorecard elements, demonstrate the requirement to increase reserve in Q4 2007 by over $250MM using an updated methodology developed by the team.
- Methodology updates based on objective testing of diverse statistical methodologies including: OLS, logistic, survival, recurrent events, spline estimation, actuarial development factors, and non-linear least squares.
- Pioneer use of SAS-based consensus forecasts to support finance rolling forecasts and plans.
- Led team of 5-10 through four "emergency quarters". Maintained tempo and morale so turnover was reduced.
- Thought and execution leader on over $48MM of re-engineering saves from 2003-2008.
- Project Manager ICPM HQ MR Finance
- American Express
- July 2002--July 2004 (2 years 1 month)
- Translate inherited series of models from Excel into SAS. Result was improved audit trail and more efficient control footprint.
- Work in concert with cross-functional teams to deliver problem-free data for a growing number of markets.
- Design and initialize SOX internal control procedures and key controls for URR processes. Analyses allowed the business to close $28MM of operational SOX deficiencies.
- Present, justify, document, and explain results to senior management, actuarial peer reviewers, and external auditors.
- Provide thought leadership and programming to validate reengineering and perform ad hoc analytics.
- Consulting Econometrician at American Express MR Finance
- CDI Information Services
- January 2002--July 2002 (7 months)
- Perform methodological analysis and create models to gauge impact of Membership Rewards card member attrition and redemption behavior on accounting reserves for >20 international markets.
- Perform sensitivity analyses and model troubleshooting.
- Consulting Econometrician at American Express
- CDI Business Solutions
- May 2001--July 2002 (1 year 3 months)
- Estimate, calibrate, test, and implement credit scoring models for new credit and lending acquisitions. (Japan-Asia-Pacific region)
- Communicate new model results to management, marketing, and operations. Work closely with programmers.
- Analyze model performance over time and other model implications on overall MR expense risk.
- Telecommunications Infrastructure Consultant
- Market Research Center, IFAS-FRED, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- May 2000--May 2001 (1 year 1 month)
- Miami-Dade County government study of Homestead-Perrine area, FL.
- Results identify underserved areas for zoning reclassification, right-of-way planning & to advise businesses of their telecommunications alternatives based on location.
- Business Internet Sales, e-business Trainer
- Safari Internet
- 1997--1998 (1 year)